Following a recent, very generous donation, the WLA’s Bogie Appeal for D1013’s bogie overhaul has now surpassed £28k! Although the WLA were unable to progress the NLHF route, plans are being progressed to undertake an overhaul, similar to the one carried out on D1062, plus a bit more.
Engineering Co-ordinator, Darren Shelmerdine, has outlined his initial thoughts on carrying out this essential work:
- Remove each Bogie in turn but have most if not all the parts ready to change.
- Change all the Equalising Beams.
- Change the Primary Springs.
- Replace Spring Hangers for the Beams.
- Change all the Torque Reaction Rubbers and High Tensile Bolts.
- Change all the Spacing Tubes.
- Check all the Torque Reaction Arms and Trunnions.
- Replace all the Brake Cylinder Seals.
- Consider replacing Secondary Suspension Leaf Springs and possibly the Coil Springs.
- Replace a broken stud on one of the Final Drives.
- Change the Cardan Shafts using the ones in stock.
- Give each Bogie a thorough clean and paint as required.
Quoatations for the above work will be sought over the next few weeks. A big thank you for everyone who has contributed so far! Our target for this work is £30k but even if we achieve this, we can always spend more…!
Like to Donate?
Like to Help?
If you would like to support this project in any way, e.g. through sponsorship, donations, membership or as a working volunteer
Please contact us here